Supported Employment is a service that provides people with disabilities the help they need to get and keep a job that matches their interests, skills and abilities. Support is available to help identify a job goal, locate a job, learn the job, and maintain that job over time. We partner with Individuals to make sure they have the support they need throughout the process.
Who is Eligible?
- Residents of a ColumbiaCare facility can just express their interest in Supported Employment services.
- Community members (non-ColumbiCare residents) may also apply for services if they have mental health issues that interfere with their ability to work.
People work for different reasons. Some benefits include:
- Using Your Talents & Skills;
- Participating in Your Community;
- Meeting New People;
- Health Insurance and Other Benefits;
- Pride in Work; and
- Increased Self-Esteem
Career Exploration. Perhaps an individual has never worked, or it has been a long time. We can help them think about their talents and interests, and even get some experience to build a resume and develop local references.
Benefits and Work Incentive Planning Assistance. Often people are confused about how working will impact Social Security and other benefits. We can teach individuals about the many work incentive programs available!
Job Preparation. We can help individuals develop a resume and prepare for an interview and we will provide other services to get them ready for work!
Job Development and Placement Assistance. We provide specialized assistance to help match an individual's interests, skills, and abilities to the needs of community employers. We’ll provide support during the hiring process and help individuals figure out transportation, get needed clothing, or tools, etc., so they're ready to start a new job!
Job Retention. We provide support to help Individuals learn their job and retain it over time.
Benefits to Employers:
- It Saves Time! Eliminate time-consuming and costly advertising and recruiting. We’ll do that for you!
- It Saves Money! We can help evaluate if there are tasks that are assigned to workers with higher skills that might be more efficiently handled by someone in a part-time entry-level position. Customer service employees reported that it allowed them more time for direct customer contact. Employers hiring employees with disabilities are often eligible for a tax credit as well!
- It Makes Money! Often we can help identify ways to provide a new service or a unique twist on an old service which provides work for a motivated employee while generating additional income for the business.
- It Increases Your Customer Base! According to the U.S. Business Leadership Network, 88% of people surveyed prefer to do business with companies who hire people with disabilities.
- It Builds a Positive Reputation in the Community! When you provide a job opportunity for someone with a disability, you are not only diversifying your workforce, but enriching your community by being a good neighbor.
For more information, please contact Madonna Werthman, Supported Employment Supervisor at 541.858.8170 or firstname.lastname@example.org.